Published on Friday, 25 April 2014 07:57
Technologist Continuing education credits (CEC) at CSS conferences
A record of registration for the Canadian Sleep Society conferences in 2007 and 2009 has been submitted to the Board of Registered Polysomnography Technologists (BRPT).
A certificate was provided with your registration package. We are unable to re-issue these certificates at this time, however, these are not required when uploading your CEC hours to the BRPT website as they can be cross-referenced.
The programs for the 2007 and 2009 meetings are available on-line:
The 4th Conference of the Canadian Sleep Society
April 26-28, 2009: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Maximum of 16.25 Continuing Education Credit hours.
The 3rd Conference of the Canadian Sleep Society
April 19-20, 2007: Montreal, Ontario, Canada
The BRPT approved that attendees at the Canadian Sleep Society (CSS) 2-day conference in Montreal, April 19&20, 2007 could obtain a maximum of 15.45 Continuing Education Credit hours.
Frequently Asked Questions (click here to download the French version of FAQ)
In response to some questions about the CEC, here are some points of clarification on the new CEC evaluation program through the Canadian Sleep Society (CSS):
- The CEC certificate for the 2009 CSS conference in Toronto was provided with the registration package. Individuals should have included the credit hours calculation on their certificate depending on what they attended. The maximum Technologist CEC hours was 16.25 Hrs. The CSS office has kept a record of people who were registered and has forwarded this to the Board of Registered Polysomnography Technologists (BRPT). CLICK HERE to download the 2009 Final Program.
- The CSS received approval from the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT) to act as an accrediting body for educational programs. This means that educational programs approved and awarded CEC by the Canadian Sleep Society will automatically count towards re-accreditation by the BRPT. This is to help Canadian RPSGTs keep up with their CEC hours for recertification. We did not go through the AAST for this approval as the BRPT is the examination and licensing body.
- The application that can be downloaded from the website is ONLY for educational providers wishing to have their educational sessions or programs accredited.
- If you attended an educational session you are NOT required to complete this application. If the educational session you attended was approved for CECs, you should have been provided an attendance certificate stating who the accrediting body was (for example previously the AAST, now possibly the CSS). The CEC certificates will be provided through the education provider, not the CSS, though records of attendance will be maintained by the CSS. Please contact your educational provider if you did not receive an attendance certificate.
- These CECs are only for future educational activities, you cannot submit an application based on an education activity that has already happened.
- It is not compulsory for Canadian Technologists to submit applications for educational activities to the CSS as well as BRPT or AAST. It is the BRPT who is the licensing body. This is an alternative avenue for Canadian education providers to have their event accredited.
Continuing Education Credits (CEC)
The Canadian Sleep Society has been recognized by the BRPT as an accrediting body for continuing educational credits (CEC). Educational Providers now have the opportunity to apply for CECs through the Canadian Sleep Society.
Please include Deadlines for completed CEC applications: February 1, May 1, August 1, November 1. Allow at least 30 days for application processing.
For information on the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT), please visit their webiste www.brpt.org
Continuing Education Credits (CEC) approval from CSS/SCS
Educational activities for Sleep Technologists being submitted for CEC through the CSS/SCS must meet the following criteria to be considered for approval:
- The content of the event should be relevant to the Sleep Technology Profession.
- The educational program should be evaluated by attendees.
- Only educational programs of a minimum of 1 hour will be considered.
- Only educational programs held within Canada may apply to the CSS/SCS.
- The Educational Provider assumes responsibility for providing each attendee with a certificate of completion.
CEC Continuing Education Credits Application
To download the CEC Program application, use the link below. Additional templates (including attendance certificate, tracking sheet and evaluation form) are provided as samples.
CEC Continuing Education Credits Application.
The following SAMPLE documents are available for your use, they are intended as samples: